Thread: Steering box diagram 200tdi

Default Steering box diagram 200tdi

I have a 200tdi. The steering wheel shudders/knocks when i hit a bump. I have tightened the allen key adjuster on the steering box as far as it will go but still there.
    I'm going to replace what I believe is the 'steering column universal joint'.

Can anyone supply me with a diagram so I can properly identify it before ordering. Also is somewhere like Paddocks the best for supplying this?

There is a slight initial tighness on the steering when turned before slackening off. As there is also a leak on the input to the steering box am I better to replace the whole damn thing?

Registered Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Re: Steering box diagram 200tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Discoveryhunter View Post
    I have a 200tdi. The steering wheel shudders/knocks when i hit a bump. I have tightened the allen key adjuster on the steering box as far as it will go but still there.

Can anyone supply me with a diagram so I can properly identify it before ordering. Also is somewhere like Paddocks the best for supplying this?

There is a slight initial tighness on the steering when turned before slackening off. As there is also a leak on the input to the steering box am I better to replace the whole damn thing?
    That's not necessarily your problem and you may have overtightened it now and a leak should be easy to fix. Have you replaced the steering damper and tried the other usual causes?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

steering wheel shuddering and shaking when hitting a bump, sure it not your pan hard bush?

steering uj, have a look under the bonnet when someone rocks the steering side to side, you should be able to see if there is any play in the steering uj's...

Cheers
    I once travelled far, i have the overwhelming desire to do it again.......

Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

A hound sleeps lethargically as a tiny petal is crushed by an elaborate iron arm, the hound dreams of becoming a repressive god.....

Its had a track rod end replaced for its MOT which it passed, other than that it all looks good. The only play I can find on the steering is the Universal joint moving. Other than that, I can't see any play when the vehicle is staionary. Would this change when its travelling?

I can believe that I've maybe tightened the steering box too much.

Do you know if both of the universal joints either end of the intermediate shaft are the same?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Is it best to check for play in the steering box and UJ's with the engine running or off?

Cheers

Andy
    2000 TD5 GS 145K Miles (sold)
    1999 300 Tdi Safari Manual 137K
    2001 BMW E39 525i Sport

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Before the box, engine off.
    After the box, engine on.

With the engine off, you will have a resistance to the turning motion, this will show up any play in the UJs.

With the engine on, you will have the PAS advantage to help show excess wear in the steering against the resistance of the tyres on the road surface.

Creator of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club, just ask me,

WOOF, WOOF WOOF WOOF, I'm hungry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Discoveryhunter View Post

Hi there, have you checked your swivel bearings for wear, as they can give this sympton also.

Cheers
    Dave
    Had loads though!

2010 Triumph Bonneville T100

Nice one lads. Seems the only problem is the UJ and the steering box could do with a new seal.
    Any advice on that one??

Thread Information